Saturday, October 25, 2008

"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."

That wonderful quotation comes courtesy of the inspiring activist Maggie Kuhn, best known for being the founder of the anti-ageist civil rights group The Gray Panthers. Long before she started her work with them at the tender age of 65, she dedicated her life to fighting for human rights, social and economic justice, global peace and desegregation. She was bold and brave, but far from fearless. She knew that courage is not about being without fear, but about being nervous and doing the right thing anyway. That's my goal. I don't always reach it, heaven knows, but Maggie is a fine star in the progressive firmament to hitch my wagon to.

Last weekend I spoke my mind by way of a political sign which I posted in front of my house. It was stolen in less than a day, in broad daylight, on a busy street and on a weekend, no less! That was one audacious thief. My anger over the incident drove me to write about the importance of speaking up for one's beliefs on my website, www.lauragrey.com. I invite you to take a look at my piece there titled "The Art of Politics."

Don't let the bullies get away with their garbage! And please, friends, vote.